RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Apr 2001

Well, obviously I've been reading up a storm lately. Thing is, I don't have a television set right now -- that frees up a lot of time. :)

Richard Prather -- GAT HEAT and THE COCKEYED CORPSE

Well, just when I said that I never read a Prather that made me laugh out loud I found one that did. GAT HEAT is absolutley tremendous, highly recommended. Basically here Shell Scott encounters the sexual revolution, and ends up rather the worse for wear. Two absolutely fantastic set pieces, one involving a movie camera, one involving a repressed spinster who's obviously bubbling hard beneath the surface. COCKEYED has Scott on the set of a "nudie movie", the kind of thing that was briefly popular in the early Sixties
(IMMORAL MR. TEAS, etc.). Not as good as GAT HEAT, but not bad, either.

Joe Gores -- A TIME FOR PREDATORS

Didn't like this one at all -- a vigilante novel, it starts very strong but requires, as the mainspring of the action, a suspension of disbelief that I simply wasn't prepared to make. This was published in 1969, and this "vigilante" theme must've simply been in the air at the time, huh? Somewhere there's an academic monograph waiting to be written on this subject.

James Lee Burke -- MORNING FOR FLAMINGOS

This was my last try with Burke -- I'm crossing him off my list. This has all of the flaws I've come to associate with Burke (I've read two others, BLACK CHERRY BLUES and A STAINED WHITE RADIANCE): a ridiculous plot, overwritten prose, a sort of sanctimony that really gets under my skin, and a huffing and puffing after Literary Significance that's painful to see. Don't understand why he's so popular, when so many better writers in the genre aren't.

Adam Hall -- THE TANGO BRIEFING

Reading this one now. I love the Quiller series -- should've thought of these books when people were discussing "work" as a theme in hardboiled fiction, because if there's ever been a protagonist who's defined solely by his job, it's Quiller. Indeed, the theme of the series seems to be the prickly relationship he has with his job, and the demands of it on him. Anyhow, this is easily the most hardboiled of the spy series, I urge anyone to check them out.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com