RE: RARA-AVIS: Nero Wolfe

From: btoomey@mail.javanet.com
Date: 24 Apr 2001

>Any particular [Nero Wolfe] titles recommended?

Fer-de-Lance, the first in the series, isn't very good. Stout didn't have the relationship between Archie and Wolfe nailed down yet.

Some Buried Caesar is probably the best, but it's atypical. Read it anyway. The League of Frightened Men and Over My Dead Body are also first rate. But Stout wasn't at his best as a novelist. Most of the full length adventures feel padded He was much better with his novellas. The plots are tighter and the writing is generally sharper. There are around forty of these shorter works, and you can start anywhere, but I'd recommend Homicide Trinity, which contains Death of a Demon, one of my favorites.

BobT

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Mail2Web - Check your email from the web at http://www.mail2web.com/ .