Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett Update from San Francisco

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2001

On 23 April 2001, Mark Coggins wrote:

: 1) Hammett's daughter, Josephine Hammett Marshall
: 2) Hammett's granddaughter, Julie Rivett
: 3) Joe Gores
: 4) Don Herron (author of the Dashiell Hammett Tour)
: 5) Richard Layman (one of Hammett's biographers and co-editor of the New
: Black Mask series)

What were they all like? I've seen Jo Hammett on TV and she seemed very pleasant. How old is the granddaughter?

: - There are about 600 more letters that didn't make it into the book.

600! I hope they were very dull.

: - The daughter of Peggy O'Toole (model for Brigid O'Shaughnessy) is
: still alive and she remembers seeing about 20 letters Hammett wrote
: her mother. I guess only a few remain.

Who was Peggy O'Toole? I don't think I've heard of her before. I wonder how closely Miss O'Shaughnessy was modeled on her. Might not be something you wanted to brag about.

Thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to picking up the Hammett letters.

Bill