Re: RARA-AVIS: Himes

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2001

Charlie:

<<He also wrote other stuff, but I didn't know that included short stories.>>

Yes, I have the collected short stories on a thick volume published by Thunder's Mouth Press. They are not mystery stories. They are definitely worth reading, though. There is much autobiographical stuff in them, including tales about life in jail. If you read the earliest ones, you realize that Himes was already as good and as funny a writer as he was ever going to be. In fact, he was noticed as a literary talent.

His Harlem novels can be reread endlessly. There's always something new in them. My favorite is The Big Gold Dream.

By the way, congratulations on finding a publisher for your novel.

Best,

MrT

=====