Re: RARA-AVIS: i've been listening (Chandler + Ellroy)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 Apr 2001

Neil wrote:

"Has anyone writing in the hb/noir field just out and out said that Chandler reeks?"

I personally heard Ellroy say Chandler was awful, but you already know that:

"I know Ellroy eventually distanced himself by saying that Chandler was awful, but by then, he had already invested himself with the guy's tradition, so too late."

Ellroy says a lot of things. I noted that he claims not to have read Killer Inside Me, but seems to be drawing on its Lou Ford character in Killer on the Road. Ironically, in the same conversation he went off about Walter Mosley, claiming Red Death could not have been written without having read his own Big Nowhere, which Mosley claimed never to have read.

Mark