RE: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 Apr 2001

BobT wrote:

"Lawrence Block -- SUCH MEN ARE DANGEROUS

"I have a hb copy of this as by Paul Kavanagh, Didn't know until years later it was actually by Block. I think it may be his best book. He published two others under the PK pseudonym: THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL, also very good, and NOT COMING HOME TO YOU, which I've never been able to finish."

And the initial editions of Such Men included a "Publisher's Note" and
"Editor's Preface" explaining the provenance of the over-the-transom manuscript by Paul Kavanagh. Triumph is a good hit man book. I finished Not Coming Home, based on Charlie Starkweather/Caril Fugate, but agree it's not his best. Stick to the movie Badlands for their story.

Someone has already mention Girl with the Long Green Heart, a great con job novel, but let me add Mona and After the First Death to the list of recommended Block one-offs.

Mark