Re: RARA-AVIS: University courses

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 Apr 2001

George wrote:

"For your serial killer novel, I suggest Blackburn, by Bradley Denton."

Let me add my endorsement, but add a caution. This book probably shouldn't be the first serial killer book in the course. It works a lot better if you have some familiarity with the conventions it's playing with.

I forget who suggested Ellroy's Killer on the Road (AKA Silent Terror), but that's a good one, too, especially since you've already got them reading Killer Inside Me. It always seemed to me that the sheriff in Ellroy's book was based on Lew Ford, although Ellroy denies ever having read Thompson's book.

Mark