RARA-AVIS: i've been listening

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 18 Apr 2001

when i joined the group a few days ago i figured i knew a little about hb lit. after reading a few posts i realized i knew very little. i'm pretty much of a bestseller-from-the-last-10-years reader, so watching all the titles and authors mentioned here has been an eye opener. so i'm ready to dive in.

here's a tentative order from amazon:

maltese falcon, thin man, red harvest shame the devil, sweet forever burnt orange heresy cotton comes to harlem deep blue good-by big sleep, farewell my lovely killer inside me

there was a feature where i could save the cart items for a few days, so i figured i'd ask for comments and other recommendations first. with the exception of willeford's _heresy_, i tried to concentrate on writers that were mentioned repeatedly as being good. there's a trilogy of spillane coming out in june that has _i, the jury_ in it. the hammet and chandler volumes came with multiple titles. in particular, i'd like to know if there are any

i should read before the above list.

one note: one poster mentioned he liked the feel of the old yellowed cracked pages. i can't do that. hurts my 46 year old eyes. just about gotta be new or close to new for me to read em. i realize that cuts me off from a lot... nothing by charles williams in print (i know it was mentioned several times in the group but it never hurts to look.).

thank you, miker