RE: Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams

From: btoomey@mail.javanet.com
Date: 17 Apr 2001

<<<< The more relevant question may be: Are *any* Gold Medal writers remembered today?

John D. MacDonald, Jim Thompson, Richard Stark are still in print -- but we're talking ephemera here, like Old Time Radio, loved by a few dedicated collectors, but basically tossed on the cultural ash heap. Brilliant works, alongside tons of trash, accidental, unpretentious masterpieces tossed off in no time flat and destined for a short shelf life by creators with no illusions about art or immortality. It's one of the reasons we love this stuff.

BobT

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Mail2Web - Check your email from the web at http://www.mail2web.com/ .