RARA-AVIS: Crime literature classes

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 17 Apr 2001

I had only one class in crime fiction in all my seven years in the university of Tampere, Finland. (There was also one class in science fiction.) But it concentrated on crime fiction in general and most of the papers were made on writers in whom I wasn't so interested. As for hardboiled stuff, I think I knew more about it than the whole bunch together. (During the course I sold my not-very-good Chandler translation of "Lady in the Lake" to the teacher of the class.)

I had just read Francis Iles, who is not hardboiled, but very interesting nonetheless. I tried to suggest that I could write my paper on his "Before the Fact", but the teacher said that he didn't know the book. I ended up writing a very critical paper on Christie's "Orient Express", a bit deconstructive if you know what I mean. No one really understood me.

Juri