RARA-AVIS: University courses

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 17 Apr 2001

When I was an undergraduate at Iowa State University in the late 80s, I took courses in both mystery fiction and film noir (we actually got to watch films, rather than video). The mystery course was focused primarily on more traditional mystery--Ellery Queen, Rex Stout, etc.--though we did read John D. McDonald and it was my first introduction to Tony Hillerman (_The Fly on the Wall_).

I still vividly remember watching Orson Welles' _Touch of Evil_ in the film noir class--it is still one of my favorite films and one of the few I can watch again and again without its losing any of its power. The instructors for the film class were Leland Pogue and Charles L. P. Silet, whose names I've since seen on a number of books and articles on mystery films and writers (one of them had an interview with James Ellroy in _Armchair Detective_ magazine some years back).

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO