RE: RARA-AVIS: Work and Insobriety

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 16 Apr 2001

dc said:

        Compare MacDonald's work to Carl Hiassen's (sp?). Now there is a real reliance on the eccentric, in characters and their behavior. I find him totally unappealing, and unlike many, I don't even find his works funny.

        miker says (uh... thats me):

        i used to just love hiassen's books, but it seems that the last couple have been
        overshadowed by his environmental concerns. soap box and hb farce don't mix well
        for me.

        actually, i guess i don't like soap box with anything. i was saddened that vachss's
        "false allegations" came off like that. ok, maybe more of a lecture podium than a
        sopa box, but still distasteful. there are a couple sections in false "allegations" that
        just totally lose the hard edge vachss is famous for and falls into page upon page
        of tiresome social science drivel. let the story do the talking. at least in "safe house"
        burke finally gets over being gunshy.

        miker