RARA-AVIS: Re: Mitchum

From: southpaw@altavista.net
Date: 15 Apr 2001

(I'm catching up on old posts)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, "George Pelecanos" < shoedog1@erols.com> wrote:

> In the late 80s Maxim Jakubowski edited a trade paperback
> series for Simon and Schuster called Blue Murder, which
> included those two titles. The gimmick was that all of the
> books in the series had been made into noir or noirish
> films. Maxim wrote an introduction for each book detailing
> the author's career. Among the other titles were William
> McGivern's THE BIG HEAT, Charles Williams's THE DIAMOND
> BIKINI, Gil Brewer's 13 FRENCH STREET and THE RED SCARF, and
> Woolrich's REAR WINDOW. Most importantly, the series
> introduced me to Thornburg's CUTTER AND BONE and Goodis's
> THE BURGLAR.

Peter Haining edited The Mammoth Book Of Movie Detectives & Screen Crimes (Carroll & Graf, 1998, which previously was two separate volumes called Crime Movies and Crime Movies II, published by Severn House in the mid 90s), which has a similar conceit: short stories which were later transformed into films and TV episodes/series.

It too includes Woolrich's 'It Had To Be Murder' (AKA 'Rear Window'), as well as Evan Hunter's 'To Break The Wall' (made into 'The Blackboard Jungle'), and W.R. Burnett's 'Nobody's All Bad' (made into 'Little Caesar'). It features a William Nolan story made into an episode of 'The Naked City,' an Erle Stanley Gardner story made into an episode of
'Perry Mason,' and 'Kick It or Kill,' a Mickey Spillane story adapted into a film I've never heard of starring the author himself, called 'The Girl Hunters.'

It's also got an Eric Ambler story, Hemingway's 'The Killers,' one by Ruth Rendell, and more. Not a bad $3 remaindered softcover.