Re: RARA-AVIS: Work and Insobriety

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2001

Most of Fredric Brown's novels feature alcohol. One that sticks to my mind in this respect _is Murder can be fun_. The amount of alcohol consumed by the protagonist has to be read to be believed.

Another heavy drinker (without impairment of his abilities, apparently) is Jonathan Latimer's Bill Crane. In _Headed for a hearse_, he can compete with any of Brown's drinkers.

And let's not forget that Mario Balzic (brought up here as a paragon of the work ethic) is essentially an alcoholic. He is a lovable and wise and interesting guy, but his fuel is wine and his shrine is Muscotti's bar.

Some time ago I read a "self-interview" in Constantine's web site -- if I recall correctly, the author declares himself fond of working-class neighborhood bars.

By the way, I think Constantine should be recognized by MWA. A Grand Master award would be commensurate with his achievement. They already let George Higgins go without that (overdue) recognition. I am a little disturbed by the disregard for some of the best writers -- the great Jon Jackson is another example.

Regards,

MrT