Re: RARA-AVIS: Theme of the Month: Work

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 14 Apr 2001

 Marianne writes,

> (Buy me many drinks and I will continue to discuss traditional/cosy
> detection, sf, romance, the Western, etc etc etc, at boring length, deep
> into the night.)
>
> One of my favourite relevant heroes, who always casts light on this
> sub-genre for me despite the fact that he rode a horse, is Shane, who was
> working for his keep.

I love this list.

Reminds me that we used to have a regular contributer who would delightfully combine drink and emails....

So is alcohol the coffee of the detective class? Is the bottle in the drawer a sign of one's professionalism or ...what? The necessary numbing, so one can go on?

Let's not forget that Shane had to be persuaded to work, and was shamed because he worked with farmers. Shane wounded is nearer to our favorite protagonists. Work is suffering.

Reading too much Greek tragedy.

Bill Hagen billha@ionet.net