RARA-AVIS: Re: Work (specifically, Westlake)

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 13 Apr 2001

>I agree. He so obviously parallels Parker that the book JIMMY THE KID has
>he and his gang
>follow a Parker book as their guide step by step but, of course, they
>manage to bungle the a
>kidnapping.

One point that Westlake's made in the past, though, is Dortmunder and his people aren't really bunglers; they just have cosmically bad luck. He's said he hates it when they're described as incompetent because that's not accurate--they do their homework and map things out and so forth but, somehow, it never works out in real life the way it does on paper.

Okay, this is sort of at the veeery outer edge of the topic, but I still thought it was an interesting point.

Victoria

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime http://www.handheldcrime.com/