Re: RARA-AVIS: Theme of the Month: Work

From: blumenidiot ( blumenidiot@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Apr 2001

--- Mario Taboada: Westlake's Dortmunder must be one of the
> hardest-working
> crooks (also the dumbest and unluckiest, but that's
> another
> matter). The guy works with such doggedness and
> devotion,
> but what does he get in return?

I agree. He so obviously parallels Parker that the book JIMMY THE KID has he and his gang follow a Parker book as their guide step by step but, of course, they manage to bungle the a kidnapping.

> You just reminded me of how bleak Hamilton can be.
> Do you
> think Matt Helm is some sort of case? The pressure
> is
> constant and he has no life of his own.

Except for his brief marriage the same holds true for James Bond. We always see him interrupted while he is enjoyinging himself In fact often he is on vacation. Just as he is enjoying himself with the girl that has survived M finds him and gets him back to work. ames >

> About DKA: Hell, yes. Dan Kearny sweats every dollar
> he
> earns, as do his associates. He seems to derive no
> enjoyment from his profession. He and Matt Helm
> could have
> great conversations, or silences.

He and Parker actually do have a conversation in PLUNDER SQUAD. He is suspicious of Parker who manages to send him away. Mark