Re: RARA-AVIS: Hiney's Chandler Bio

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 13 Apr 2001

I'd go with this assessment of the Chandler letters. Some very dubious speculation presented as fact, and very little (if any) new material that I could find, despite the fact that it was presented as offering new discoveries. The Raymond Chandler Papers is better, but then it's a finish-off of a MacShane project - and most of the writing in it is by Chandler, so it was always going to be good.

Incidentally there's an excellent review (well, it's more of a detailed demolition) of the problems with the biography on The Raymond Chandler Website:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/3224/criticism.htm

Cheers Chris