Re: RARA-AVIS: Hiney's Chandler Bio

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 13 Apr 2001

Raymond Chandler - A Biography by Tom Hiney

Approx one year ago I red the UK Vintage edition
(1998) of this book. Very "mixed" feelings about it...

First, if you do not know about Chandler's life and ignore his letters, the book is a rather good introduction- providing you know at least most of his novels. It's more of the journalism vein than a real literary biography, and most of the reported facts were available somewhere else.

Further, it does not seem that Hiney tried to contact the surviving "privileged" witnesses of Chandler's life (or people having really met him), so no real new angle. The alcoholism of Chandler takes a too important place in Hiney's explanation of the author's personality
(IMHO)

Except for some in his chapter notes, there is no real bibliography about what Hiney searched as preparation. No Chandler's bibliography either.

Annoying: some gross factual mistakes in the text- I lost part of my reading notes, so I cannot give a precise example- but some of it was of an equivalent of confusing the "Maltese Falcon" as being by Chandler. Also, some brief citations from Chandler's letters or documents are isolated from their context and are hastily presented with decisive but arguable conclusions (sometimes by ignoring other documents that could give another understanding of Chandler's attitude or thinking!).

Hiney: definitely not "the" biography...

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384