RARA-AVIS: Re: Gault & Ellroy

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 12 Apr 2001

Richard wrote:

>At some
>point, Ellroy decided to read an example of great literature in mysteries.
>He did not name the writer but launched into the reading and it went a bit
>long. Worse yet, the writing was not that impressive. It sounded like it
>belonged in the "hey, ma, look I'm writing" school of overdone prose. This
>impression was partly due to the selection of material but perhaps more to do
>with Ellroy's reading that dripped pretension.

Of course, now some new git on the rise can read stand up at Bouchercon, and carry on the tradition, by reading out loud, complete with verbal sneer, some of Ellroy's pithy prose. Now there's a slogan for Ellroy Incorporated: "Dripping Since The Eighties."

I dunno, maybe it's me, but the more I hear about Ellroy's bratty antics, the less I enjoy his books.

Oh, and before that bandwagon leaves, make some room for me. Welcome back, Mr. T, it's so nice to have you back where you belong and all that.

--
Kevin