RARA-AVIS: Wm Campbell Gault, etc.

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 10 Apr 2001

Glad to see Mario back too. I had begun to suspect foul play. It just so happens that I was just finishing reading a book by a writer that he recommended: William Campbell Gault: "Vein of Violence," 1961; Brock "the Rock" Callahan is the PI. Interesting, but not great. First, for all of Callahan's toughness (an ex-pro football player), the novel is something of a parlor room thing of detection (someone murdered with poison at a party, etc.). This novel also seemed to wear its issues (or what are now more visible as issues) more heavily than "Day of the Ram" (which I guess it is fair to say is the most well-known Brock Callahan book): (1) It deals with abortion; (2) homosexuality is a sign of evil (and not a red-herring of evil). At one point, the police consider holding a suspect for his sexuality
(on a morality charge). Callahan comes off a little sanctimonious. What are the better Gault's? What are the Joe Puma novels about (and were they reprinted recently)? Doug