RARA-AVIS: RE: British books in US

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2001

Kevin's comment about the lack of US publisher interest in UK doesn't quite gibe with my observation. Ignoring the obvious US "imports," from Harry Potter to Ian Rankin, I think both St. Martin's and Walker publish more British crime titles than American titles. Scribner publishes, last time I looked, a healthy lineup of British titles from folks like Barnard and Brett. Same with Mysterious Press. Certainly, if any book makes money in England (McDermid, Robinson et al), it winds up at an American publisher. If the point was that some very good noir titles are overlooked, I wouldn't argue against that one. But it probably means they weren't of noticeable
"financial" success at home.

Arthur Treacher, by the way, was an actor who was the epitome of the British butler. Played Jeeves in a film series in the late 30's. Went on to fame as the announcer on Merv Griffin's late night talk show and as a result of that wound up as the figurehead for a fish and chips fast food chain. Bringing this back on topic, I guess you could say the butler -- no, I just can't go there.

Dick Lochte