RARA-AVIS: Like being popular on the Isle of Man: MacDonald

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 04 Apr 2001

A rather US-centric notion that Brit popularity is not as important as nationwide US popularlity, as opposed to regional US popularity. If one is famous in New Jersey or England, people won't know who you are very often in Arizona. Poor Nils, eh? TM (who was recently startled by English commentator for US radio Cash Peters's utter ignorance of Irish music in a segment he did about same for the show MARKETPLACE...his Irish interview subject, casting about for someone Peters might have heard of, rattled off the likes of the Chieftans, Tommy Makem, the Clancy Brothers...people most
[famously provincial] US types might mention without strain, all of them complete ciphers to Peters. Funny old world.)

-----Original Message----- From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
[mailto: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net]

> "Being popular in England is
>like being popular in New Jersey."

I would be humbly grateful if anyone can interpret this for me...