RARA-AVIS: RE: RARA-AVIS cover art (was ross thomas/clint eastwood)

From: Chris Bahn ( Chris_Bahn@citysearch.com)
Date: 04 Apr 2001

It's the 1984 Perennial Mystery edition, reprinted in 1986. Eastwood's movies around that time were: Heartbreak Ridge (1986), Pale Rider (1985), City Heat (1984), Tightrope (1984), Sudden Impact (1983). None are spy movies, so I guess maybe Harper was just looking to tie in to his tough-guy image?

-----Original Message----- Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:20:15 -0400 (EDT) From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net (Mark Sullivan) Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: cover art (was ross thomas/clint eastwood)

Which edition of Cold War Swap was it? What year did it come out? And what Eastwood film was current at the time? Perhaps they were trying to piggyback on it. I seem to remember the cover of one of Thomas's reprints (Porkchoppers? By Harper Perrenials? The edition with the black covers) featuring a face that looked a lot like G Gordon Liddy's
(when he still had hair).

When I stopped in Terrill Lankford's shop while visiting the left coast a couple of months ago, he showed me the UK first edition of Michael Connely's Black Echo -- the cover photo of Bosch looks a whole lot like James Ellroy.

Mark