RE: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's new one: why France first?: Nummelin afte r all

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2001

I would guess, if anything, the near-opposite is true...that releasing his new one in several other languages first is a marketing ploy to demonstrate Ellroy's international audience.

Then again, it may well be merely a matter of publishers' publicity-machine scheduling.

Or perhaps Ellroy wanted to tour Europe first.

TM (please don't make me watch JUST SHOOT ME)

-----Original Message----- From: Juri Nummelin [mailto: jurnum@utu.fi] On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, William Denton wrote:

> Does anyone know why Ellroy's new book, which many of us have been waiting
> for for years, is coming out first in translation in France? It seems
> pretty strange.

Maybe they thought that Ellroy's star is fading out in America? I mean, hasn't it been? Considering the judgments here on R-A, "American Tabloid" was not so widely accepted and heavily criticized. Maybe the publisher thought that it would make good to get the book out in Europe first, where Ellroy is still being liked.

If I'm wrong, shoo.. no, just tell I'm wrong.