Re: RARA-AVIS: The Moving Target

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 03 Apr 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 marianne.macdonald@lineone.net wrote:

> > don't shoot me because I
> >don't remember his name)
> STOP IT, JURI!!!

All right, all right!

> >Fiction should be plausible.
> Agreed, but plausible in what context? Do you really mean "internally
> consistent"? Crime fiction isn't very "realistic", believe me - ask a
> policeman.

I know crime fiction is usually very far from realistic, but it can (and should) be "internally consistent". McGee's truck (if we get stuck with it) may be internally consistent, but then again I didn't find it to be anything significant. (Although Betsy made a nice point about it.)

So, in the internally consistent universe of a work of art there can be things that seem to be contradictory or eccentric, but they should have a meaning.

Juri