Re: RARA-AVIS: McGee, MacDonald

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 02 Apr 2001

On 2 April 2001, Mark Sullivan wrote:

: I've gotta agree with this. When I read Juri's original post on his
: problems with Travis McGee, I thought, Gee, that's exactly what I like
: about him. I'm also noticing a US vs. Euro take on McGee's appeal.

He seems very American to me, and I don't like that in some writers but in JDM I don't mind at all. I read most of his stuff when I was in my teens and got a little tired of the chats with Meyer, the worldly commentary on society, the women who need a big dose of vitamin Trav and several plates full of steak before they can get over their problem. Now I'm rereading them in order and though I've only done the first two I find I don't mind the commentary at all and MacDonald himself is obviously a master of the art. It's amazing how much control he has. Evidently he's not an undisputed great, but I'd never dispute it.

Funnily enough, I never got the joke about the truck. I grew up in the Prairies where everyone had a pick-up, and I just figured Rolls Royce made one too.

Bill