Re: RARA-AVIS: The Moving Target

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 02 Apr 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 marianne.macdonald@lineone.net wrote:

> >So shoot me.
> If you insist, but first let me urge you to get counselling.

No, this was just something of an inside joke. The first message I ever received from Rara-Avis was from someone (Kevin Smith?) who said he preferred "Payback" over "Point Blank". The message ended with words:
"So shoot me." This stuck onto my mind.

> I guess it's a matter of taste. I have to admit that I think the concept
> of a Rolls turned into a pickup is a hoot - the snobbish, rich, European
> upper-class icon reshaped into the American blue-collar icon, emblematic
> of McGee's 'fallen' condition and social attitudes; the fact that it's a
> little unlikely didn't bother me. Fiction is fiction.

Fiction should be plausible. The Rolls turned into a pick-up is a small detail, but it doesn't add up to anything. At least I never found anything in the idea.

> I suppose that the attitude to life and politics is sympathetic enough
> that it doesn't bother me as a narrative viewpoint.

I've always thought that when a writer makes his/her points clear only through dialogue, he/she is just not competent. This is a rash exaggeration, but this is how I feel about these matters. The points should be made through some other devices, plot, atmosphere, the relations between characters, et cetera.

> >eccentric only for eccentricity's sake
> Probably eccentricity is allowed to the extent that it contributes to the
> whole.

But it doesn't. McGee's buddy (is it Mayer? don't shoot me because I don't remember his name) doesn't contribute to the whole. Oh well, it does, but only as just another boring dialogue.

> I'll try another couple and see how I feel then.

I have ceased trying for now, but since I have some two dozen MacDonalds, I just might read one or two.

Juri