Re: RARA-AVIS: The Moving Target

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 30 Mar 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> Somebody said here he writes always the same novels,
> as did Goodis.. I agree, but most of the time Mcdonald
> is uninvolving, and he really serves the same kind of
> plots, (rarely interesting). Besides his cripple plots
> what are you left with?

With the very personal feeling of the "part of our deep selves", as you write about Goodis. When I'm with Ross Macdonald, I feel like I'm with someone who has felt deep disappointments in life, but who stills hopes that people survive. The sympathy Archer (and Macdonald) feel towards the youth that suffer from the stupidities of their parents is to me very involving.

I just began to wonder whether you were really talking about John D. MacDonald. I have trouble reading him.

Juri