Re: RARA-AVIS: The Moving Target

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Mar 2001

On 28 March 2001, Mark Sullivan wrote:

: I've been meaning to ask, how are the non-Archer Ross
: Macdonald/Kenneth Millar books? I've read all of the Archers (well,
: except for the recently unearthed stories), but none of them.

I liked BLUE CITY, his third book. It's about a young man returning to his home town and finding it's gone bad, and I'm a sucker for that kind of plot. It was made into a movie in 1986 with Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy, which I remember as being pretty bad, as you'd expect. The book's certainly worth reading as early, pure genre Macdonald, and while no masterpiece it's entertaining.

First line: "All the time you've been away from a town where you lived when you were a kid, you think about it and talk about it as if the air there were sweeter in the nostrils than other air."

Bill