RARA-AVIS: Stansberry and Sallis

From: bearlodge ( bearlodge@email.msn.com)
Date: 19 Mar 2001

Anthony Dauer writes about Manifesto for the Dead by Domenic Stansberry. I'm almost finished with the book. The writing is almost minimalist, the book fairly short. The plot involves Jim Thompson being asked to write a novel to be made into a screeplay. What in fact is happening is Jim being set up as the fall guy in a murder. I almost put it down but I wanted to see what Stansberry did in the end. I wouldn't have put it high on my list to read except that it featured Jim Thompson.

Betsy Willeford asks about Jim Sallis's biography of Chester Himes. I wrote a rather long review of the book for Mystery News. It's much more than a biography, although it does an excellent job of that. It's also a pretty good compendium of criticism of his work, as well as his relationships with other American expatriate writers in France. And let's not forget Himes's sexual life and his preference for white women. I enjoyed the book thoroughly and gave it the highest rating.

Cheers, Frank Denton