Sallis on Himes (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #636)

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 18 Mar 2001

On 18 March 2001, BetsyaW@aol.com wrote:

: Has anyone read the James Sallis biography of Chester Himes yet?

I haven't, but I just read Tom Nolan's review of it:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/25/RV147441.DTL&type=printable

(That's all one line, if your mail reader splits it.) He says, "Sallis has done a remarkable job of weaving social history and literary explication into a fascinating, often gripping narrative about a writer and person who all his life stood 'at a hard right angle to the world.'"

Mr. Sallis is on this list, too.

Bill