Re: RARA-AVIS: Greetings!

From: Brian Evankovich ( brianevankovich@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2001

Hi, Bill. I read Jason Starr's COLD CALLER (which I really identified with, having once been a telemarketer myself) and that is when I "discovered" hard-boiled fiction. I'd already read the Mike Hammer books and was regularly reading Andrew Vachss but didn't know those were included. After Starr's book, I turned away from the spy and men's adventure books I'd been reading and writing (I've got so many "Executioner" books it's not funny!), and started devouring crime fiction. I re-read Spillane, started searching out Gold Medal books and anthologies and just really got into it. After awhile I tried doing short stories, finished a PI novel, and it's just taken off like a rocket. I never knew all these great books existed and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Currently I'm going through an old Lawrence Block book (After the First Death), the "new" Nolan novel by Max Collins, and just picked up Fast One and Seven Slayers by Paul Cain. Fast One was all right (certainly didn't live up to the hype as nothing ever does). Block is always superb. --Brian