Re: RARA-AVIS: Chicago Paperback House

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 13 Mar 2001

I think I have all the CPH books. They're all crime- or mystery-related. The Woodford book is called HOME AWAY FROM HOME, and it's about prisons. Certain books in the line (including COCKFIGHTER) were referred to by the editor as "Hardcover Paperback Originals" because he felt they were good enough to be hardcovers. His name was Tom Anthony, an here's his backcover blurb for COCKFIGHTER: "Charles Willeford is a fine writer. One of the finest writers I know. There is more humor, understanding of life and its pathways, and depth to his writing--than in most writers who have made it big on the best-seller lists--and sooner or later he'll make it--sooner or later...." It was later, but Anthony was right.

Bill Crider