Re: RARA-AVIS: Michael Collins, Dan Fortune Question

From: Geir Glosvik ( geir.glosvik@c2i.net)
Date: 10 Mar 2001

> Which are the best of this series and which should be skipped?

I don't think you should skip any of the first books - the later ones (post 1987) I haven't read yet. But I find all the books up to Minnesota Strip great readings. I think it's in the attitude of Dan Fortune. Someone on the list said that "hardboiledness" lies not so much in the plot and the action as in the attitude of (primarily) the main character. I agree.

>Also, what won Collins (Lynds) the Edgar?

As he got the Edgar in 1968 and a special award in 1969, I guess it was the first Fortune books that brought the awards. Act of Fear (first Fortune) in 1967 and The Brass Rainbow (second) in 1969.

Regards, Geir