RARA-AVIS: Mitchum

From: George Pelecanos ( shoedog1@erols.com)
Date: 06 Mar 2001

Mark asks about the books NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and BUILD MY GALLOWS HIGH. In the late 80s Maxim Jakubowski edited a trade paperback series for Simon and Schuster called Blue Murder, which included those two titles. The gimmick was that all of the books in the series had been made into noir or noirish films. Maxim wrote an introduction for each book detailing the author's career. Among the other titles were William McGivern's THE BIG HEAT, Charles Williams's THE DIAMOND BIKINI, Gil Brewer's 13 FRENCH STREET and THE RED SCARF, and Woolrich's REAR WINDOW. Most importantly, the series introduced me to Thornburg's CUTTER AND BONE and Goodis's THE BURGLAR. All of the books were worthwhile reads and the cover treatments were nicely done; I've managed to collect most of the series and still see them out there in various stores. I noticed a couple of weeks ago, for example, that Black Orchid in New York had various titles in their used bins.

Pelecanos