RARA-AVIS: Assorted finds

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 02 Mar 2001

I picked up several volumes of someone I'd not heard of or read, Janwillem van de Wetering. I was attracted by the Japanese aspect of one of the books, but it appears that most of them are set in The Netherlands. (The titles are "Death of a Hawker," "The Japanese Corpse," "Inspector Saito's Small Satori," "The Corpse on the Dike," and "The Blond Baboon." Are there others?)

Also found at the same shop: Woolrich's "I Married a Dead Man," the 1987
"Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction," and one that caught my attention particularly because its title, "A Cowboy Detective," pretty much captures what I do for a living (as an actor, that is--although usually I play one or the other, not both). It appears to be a true-life memoir by one Charles A. Siringo, originally published in 1912, so I suspect its HB qualities are passing, at best.

Jim Beaver