Re: RARA-AVIS: Miami Purity/author analogy/innovation in crime fiction/early Spenser

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Mar 2001

Victoria,

I hope you didn't think I was disparaging Miami Purity. I really, really like that book. I found it pretty fascinating that changing the gender of the protagonist in a classic story makes such a big difference. Kinda like how much difference it made in the movie Last Seduction when the femme fatale becomes the point of view character.

And I did mean that she, and the others, are "continuing in . . .," some even "building upon the tradition of Cain, Thompson and Goodis" not that they are copycats or simply dressing old stories in contemporary clothes. My only point was that this subgenres has its own conventions, just like the PI novel.

Finally, even a non-fan like myself has to agree that the first 3 or 4 Parkers are the ones to read. Early Autumn and Rachel Wallace were the ones that lead me to give up on him.

Mark