Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: I Was Dora Suarez

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Mar 2001

Etienne wrote:

"Even if he was recognized so very lately in his own county (UK) -and I suppose it was the same delay in the USA (?)."

Sorry to say, he still isn't recognized in the USA.

"Even an uneven novel such as "Nightmare in the Street"-1988   remains captivating and haunting (some violence, but no extended graphic descriptions)"

Nightmare in the Street hasn't come out in English has it? Just French, right? A few years ago I read it was going to come out in English, but never saw it. Did it ever come out?

Not Till the Red Fog Rises is not horrific like the Factory novels, either. It's kinda like Goodis with touches of international intrigue.

""The Hidden Files" -1992, his memoirs, is fascinating, as he tries to explain there why he writes and his views about Noir"

Truly fascinating book. And I agree, Dora Suarez is his masterpiece. His reading of it on CD is pretty creepy, too.

Mark