RARA-AVIS: Henning Mankell

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 28 Feb 2001

This author, whom I had never heard of, came up a few days ago. I just read the first of his Kurt Wallander novels to appear in English, "Faceless Killers." It is a compelling police procedural that, if you didn't call it hard-boiled or noir, you would call bleak. It did remind me of the Beck books, but probably in part because I am unfairly lumping all of Sweden together. Like the Beck books, it does deal with social issues confronting Sweden (in this case, refugees/immigration). It also vaguely reminded me of the film "Insomnia," again probably a sloppy bit of thinking that puts all of Scandinavia together (next I'll say it reminded me of the music of Sibelius).
 In both works, the hero/detectives have their own failings/prejudices, which make them all the more interesting to watch. Doug