RARA-AVIS: Re: I Was Dora Suarez

From: K Montin ( kmontin@total.net)
Date: 27 Feb 2001

I have been wondering what others thought of I Was Dora Suarez. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to look it up in the archives, with no luck. I was surprised it had generated no discussion. The mystery was solved in a recent digest, and in the same digest, there was some talk about the very book, prompting me to write.

I began to read the book in the fall, but put it away at the point where the pathologist invites the detective to look at Dora's corpse. I found I was really not interested in any more horrific details. It was already grisly enough. A pity, though, because I was just getting to like the author's very dry, albeit grim, humour.

In my view, the violence is not gratuitous. That is, it seems essential to the story, and the author did base the book on three real-life cases. But for me, it was just too much. I did not want any more graphic nightmare images burned into my brain.

As it is, the word shred now has another set of associations that I could've lived without.

I may try one of his other books some time. Meanwhile, I Was Dora Suarez is in a box to go back to the second-hand bookstore.

Karin Montin