Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Review of Chandler Papers

From: William Denton (
Date: 27 Feb 2001

On 27 February 2001, Dick Lochte wrote:

: I find it odd that readers (on this list especially) get bent out of
: shape by Peter Temple's comment about Gardner and Cain being forgotten
: but have not taken issue with his statement that "Hammett's equipment
: was second-rate. His prose was only slightly less wooden than that of
: most pulp-magazine writers, and there is something naive about his
: world view."

That just didn't make any sense to me, so I ignored it.

William Denton : Toronto, Canada : : Caveat lector.

-- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at .