RE: RARA-AVIS: Review of Raymond Chandler Papers - worth reading

From: btoomey@mail.javanet.com
Date: 26 Feb 2001

The Raymond Chandler Papers: Selected Letters and Non-Fiction 1909-1959, Edited by Tom Hiney & Frank MacShane, Hamish Hamilton, $45.

http://www.theage.com.au/books/2001/02/19/FFXNIM51DJC.html

Oustanding review of the book - only takes about 5 minutes to read.
<<<<<<

I'd hardly describe something as an outstanding review when it starts like this:

"The first thing to ask about Raymond Chandler is why his name lives on when those of best-selling contemporaries such as Erle Stanley Gardner and James M. Cain are forgotten?"

All the reviewer had to do was stop in any bookstore. Gardner and Cain are still in print, and not forgotten in the least. Shoddy research up front always turns me off. Now Charles Williams, Norbert Davis, Leigh Brackett -- folks like them really have been forgotten. Damn shame too.

BobT

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Mail2Web - Check your email from the web at http://www.mail2web.com/ .