RE: RARA-AVIS: _Right as Rain_

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 20 Feb 2001

Craig Larson begins his account of _Right as RAin_ with a disclaimer:

"I thought long and hard about this posting, since I know George Pelecanos is a list member. But I had to do it, at the risk of sounding like a fawning fanboy."

Not to worry. I and a number of others have posted our enthusiasms, mostly before he began to contribute. I too read everything, after being hooked and reeled in by _Big Blowdown_. Part of his initial appeal had to do with the careful detailing of neighborhoods, events, even stores that I knew about, though from the Virginia side of the river (being one of the kids from the burbs who would visit Coffee and Confusion, or later the Showboat to hear Mose Allison or Charlie Byrd). But his District is, finally, his own cosmos, with fascinating beings who do the things that they (in retrospect) seem destined to do. And you care about them.

Glad you put him in your library. I bother people from my old neighborhood
(Falls Church), with "What! You haven't read....?" lines all the time.

University of Maryland library website has a nice display of his work, as I remember.

No, not to worry about enthusiasm. Just post a spoiler notice before you dive too far into the plot next time...!

Anthony, I think, earlier announced a signing in N. Virginia under the heading of book tour. Is G.P. really embarked upon a tour that will possibly bring him to different parts of the country (and maybe Canada)? If so, where is the schedule posted?

Bill Hagen Shawnee, OK