Re: RARA-AVIS: Henning Mankel

From: Geir Glosvik ( geir.glosvik@c2i.net)
Date: 17 Feb 2001

> I'd like to know what's your opinion about this writer, I've read one of his
> books THE FIFTH WOMAN and thought it was quite good.
>
> Bye,
> Virginia

You might say that Henning Mankell took up where the Swedish authors Sjoowall/Wahloo left in 1975 with their police procedural series of ten novels which they named "A novel about a crime", the crime being the Swedish sosial-democratic authorities' alienatien from the Swedish people.

Mankell has written 8 chronological novels about a policeman in a small Swedish town. His name is Kurt Wallander. In his 9th book in the series, a collection of 5 chronolgical short stories about Wallander before the series starts in 1990, he says in the preface to the book that after writing the last book, he finally understood that the subtitle to all the novels should have been "Novels about the Swedish uneasiness".

They're exceedingly well-written, well-plotted books. And hard-boiled in my view.

THE FIFTH WOMAN is the sixth book in the series.

Regards, Geir Glosvik