RARA-AVIS: THE WEIRD ONES...

From: Tobin Fields ( drspecter@juno.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2001

I've become interested in a particular, unnamed strand in hardboiled mystery where an ordinary character is drawn into a strange world. This is not sci-fi but at times reads like it. I would give examples like THE SCREAMING MIMI, (really most of Fredric Brown's mysteries,) HOUSE OF FLESH by Bruno Fischer, DEAD LOW TIDE by John MacDonald, and Cain's DOUBLE INDEMNITY.

This is a particular strand of the hardboiled mystery that effects me like no other when it's done well, and many writers wander in this terrain for at least one or two books. Any suggestions along these lines? Are any modern authors pursuing this subgenre?