Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads: Derek Raymond

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 15 Feb 2001

Doug asked:

"Are the other Factory novels this good?"

Yes. The first three comprise a very nice trilogy. Then Raymond/Cook added another, I Was Dora Suarez (there is also a CD of Raymond reading from this book). This one gets a mixed reception -- as you can probably find from the discussion when it was the book of the month on the list long ago. Many, including myself, think it's amazing, one of the darkest books I've ever read, very disturbing, deeply affecting. Some seem to find it gratuitously shocking. There is a fifth in the series, but I forget the title. It's good, but not up to the earlier standard.

The Hidden Files, Raymond's musings on what he calls the "black novel," will be fascinating to fans.

Mark