RE: RARA-AVIS: Queries from a new boy

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 11 Feb 2001

I think it's the accident of settlement ... if I were to pick cities for HB the list would top off with New York, Chicago second, and Washington, DC third. After walking down Sunset Blvd. on a recent business trip to LA, today it looks the part. They must do some massive cleaning or touch-up in the editing room ... doesn't look at all as bright as it does on television. I think it comes down to write what you know including where in that what.

--
volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia
Judas ... a piece of the mean streets on the Web:
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
-----Original Message----- From: RCsaltaire@aol.com Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 2:53 PM
I have a couple of queries arising from my current reading of Tom Nolan's biography of Ross Macdonald.
1) Are George Grella's 'Murder and the Mean Streets' and Robert Parker's 'Violent Hero, Wilderness Heritage and Urban Reality' in print in any form?
and 2) Why California? Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald - is it an accident of birth / settlement or is there something about California that lends itself to hardboiled fiction?