RARA-AVIS: Cain Quote

From: Tobin Fields ( drspecter@juno.com)
Date: 02 Feb 2001

I finally got around to reading the novel DOUBLE INDEMNITY. I hadn't read it because I heard James M Cain said he actually preferred the film. What was he thinking?? I found the book much more powerful, and its depiction of Walter and Phyllis's relationship MUCH more natural. I'm curious as to where Cain said this, in a letter to Chandler?

Don't get me wrong, I still like the movie and it didn't emasculate the book or anything (I just saw the first scene of the SCREAMING MIMI adaptation, for instance, and that was enough.) Oddly, there seems to be of the more outre elements of Phyllis present in my favorite Billy Wilder character, Norma Desmond.