Re: RARA-AVIS: willeford

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 26 Jan 2001

On 26 January 2001, kip.stratton@ni.com wrote:

: It's called SOMETHING ABOUT A SOLDIER and, even better than dealing
: with WWII, it deals with the "peace-time" Army in the Pacific just
: prior to the war ...

It's a fine piece of autobiography, but I wish he'd also written about his later wartime service. The bio on Dennis McMillan's web site says, for 1943:

"Shipped overseas; assigned to Third Army, Company C 11th tank battalion, 10th armored division, Europe. A tank commander, he fights in the Battle of the Bulge and is awarded the Silver Star (second highest medal for bravery in the US, after the Medal of Honor), the Bronze Star, for outstanding bravery, the Purple Heart with one oak leaf cluster, and the Luxembourg Croix de Guerre. Studies art at Biarritz American University, France, between V-E Day and date shipped back to the US."

If/when the first complete Willeford biography is done, this would have to be detailed and then we'd all stop wondering. Many veterans never talked about the war, which is understandable, but it's also understandable that younger people are curious.

While at the McMillan site I noticed that DELIVER ME FROM DALLAS is coming out in April! There's a sample chapter at

        http://www.dennismcmillan.com/deliver.htm

That's nice news to see as we wind down Willeford month and dust off our Shell Scott books.

Bill